Planning for a Healthy Baby: Routine Pre-conception Care
Help boost your fertility and improve pregnancy with routine pre-conception care. This consists of a course of 12 sessions designed to give you the best possible pregnancy and birth and the healthiest and brightest baby.
Acupuncture has been treating infertility for over 2000 years and has recently been gaining acceptance in the west as a valuable method of restoring reproductive health. Because of its ability to relieve stress, regulate hormone levels and influence the menstrual cycle and ovulation, acupuncture is the treatment of choice for “unexplained infertility”.
Acupuncture is also very effective for diagnosed conditions such as:
• Hormonal imbalances, irregular cycles
• Lack of menstruation, lack of ovulation
• Low AMH
• Premature ovarian failure (high FSH)
• Recurrent miscarriage
• Luteal phase defect, poor lining
• Endometriosis, uterine fibroids
• Male factor infertility
Acupuncture can be used as a stand alone treatment or as an adjunct to western medicine. Many conditions benefit from using both methods at the same time.
Acupuncture is not a quick fix and treatment should last a minimum of 3 months, but the benefits are great and the changes are gradual.
Assisted Conception (IUI – IVF – ICSI)
Assisted Reproductive Technology (IUI – IVF – ICSI):
Increase your chances of success by 40-60%
A German study carried out in 2002 showed that 42.5% of the women who had IVF with acupuncture treatments became pregnant, versus 26.3% of the women who had IVF alone. This study involved receiving acupuncture for just one day, before and after the transfer of embryos.
With adequate preparation, the success rate is over 60%. It is not uncommon for patients who failed previous cycles of IVF alone to succeed with the help of acupuncture.
Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine can:
• Improve the ovarian function to produce better quality eggs
• Regulate the hormone levels to produce more follicles
• Increase the blood flow to the uterus and ovaries and increase the thickness of the uterine lining
• Prevent the uterus from contracting to facilitate the embryo transfer and implantation
• Reduce stress and side effects of the drugs used during IVF
• Strengthen the immune system and decrease the chances of miscarriage
• Improve semen quality and sperm count to create healthier embryos
Male Factor Infertility
Couples who have been diagnosed with male factor infertility are quickly referred for ICSI procedure when in fact male infertility responds really well to acupuncture treatment and lifestyle changes.
Acupuncture can significantly increase sperm count and improve sperm motility bringing them within the normal range.
Treatment consists of 12 acupuncture sessions given over a period of 90 days which corresponds to the amount of time it takes to make new sperm.
In addition, men are advised to follow a balanced diet, cut out alcohol, take supplements and avoid excessive exercise.